Security forces have taken control of key areas in Uromi, the main town in Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo State, following last Thursday’s tragic killing of 16 travelers from the north. Residents, however, remain stuck on the words, which they say are what they know, that those burnt were not hunters.
Police and military personnel, along with undercover agents, have been deployed to important junctions and hotspots to prevent any potential retaliation. However, many residents feel uneasy and fearful amid this heavy security presence and the uncertainty of what might happen next.
Community on Edge
During a visit on Monday, it was clear that people were wary of speaking out, especially to strangers. The police have arrested at least 14 individuals in connection with the killings, which has increased anxiety among locals.
Some residents believe that a recent wave of kidnappings in the area triggered the mob’s actions, but most agree that violence isn’t the solution.
Investigation Underway
The investigation into the incident has been taken over by the Federal Criminal Investigation Department (CID). Local police and military are still patrolling highways and vulnerable spots to maintain safety.
One commercial motorcyclist who initially offered to share his thoughts on the killings quickly changed his mind, stating, “I don’t work here; I just came for the day and heard about the incident when I returned home.”
Edo State Police spokesperson, Moses Yamu, confirmed that the federal authorities are now leading the investigation while local officers continue to ensure order.
Banks and Businesses on High Alert
It remains uncertain if banks and businesses will fully reopen. Many operated on reduced hours last Friday due to fears of retaliatory violence.
A banker, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “We’re watching how things go today. Some banks didn’t open at all last Friday, and others closed early. If there’s any sign of trouble, we’ll shut down again. Security agencies are keeping an eye on things, but the tension is still there.”
He recalled a disturbing incident from last year when the Head of Operations of a major bank was kidnapped and found dead. “That shook us to our core. It shows the anger in the community, but vigilante justice isn’t the answer,” he added. “These used to be peaceful neighborhoods, but now many kidnappings go unreported.”
Governor’s Efforts to Calm the Situation
Governor Monday Okpebholo is trying to ease tensions by suspending the head of the local vigilante group and visiting the families of the victims. Despite these efforts, fears linger among residents.
“We’re worried about potential violence. That’s what’s most frightening,” said Hope Osajie, a trader. “We hear they might target nearby villages instead of towns—places like Agbede or Ewu. The security forces need to be more proactive.”
Clarifying Misinformation
A nearby resident disputed claims that the slain travelers were hunters. According to him, a driver saw them loading guns into a truck and alerted local vigilantes. When the vigilantes tried to stop the truck, the driver nearly ran them over, leading to chaos.
Others pointed to deeper issues, claiming that government failure has left communities vulnerable. “The government has not protected us. People are scared to go to their farms, and some are kidnapped from their homes,” said a man named Idemudia. “We’ve protested and cried out for help, but nothing changes. What happened last Thursday was born of frustration, but that doesn’t justify the violence.”