Court convicts Nnamdi Kanu for belonging to proscribed group, inciting violence
Justice Omotosho, in his ongoing judgment in Kanu’s terrorism trial, found the IPOB leader guilty in relation to counts three, four and five of the seven-count charge brought against the agitator by the Nigerian Government.
The judge held that the prosecution provided credible evidence to establish that Kanu belonged to IPOB, which had been proscribed and its affiliate, the Eastern Security Network, ESN.
The Federal High Court in Abuja has finally convicted the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, for terrorism offences after 10 years of trial.
The judgment comes after years of legal battle between Nnamdi Kanu and the Nigerian government.
Justice James Omotosho announced Kanu’s conviction in a lengthy judgment delivered on Thursday.
On the count of terrorism, Justice Omotosho said: “It is clear from the evidence that the defendant committed a terrorism act.
“The defendant is convicted in respect of court one.”
As of the time of filing this report, Justice Omotosho is still giving his judgment on other counts, including the declaration of sit-at-home in the South-East region of Nigeria.
However, Kanu had insisted before he was escorted out of the court for unruly behaviour, that no judgment must be delivered until he was shown the law he breached.
According to him, the court has no jurisdiction to try him.
Justice Omotosho had said the Judgment would be based on four issues
Recall that Nnamdi Kanu was first arrested in 2015 on charges of treason and was rearrested in 2021 in Kenya.
